Monday, April 4, 2011

The power of "why"?

How many times have you heard that word, especially if you are a parent?  If you are not a parent, I'm sure you probably asked your mother or father a plethora of "why" questions when you were growing up.

Why is a word used to garner an explanation of a fact or behavior pattern that we have observed, but don't fully comprehend.  It can also be used to find out someone's motivation in giving us instruction to carry out a certain task. 

Not too long ago, in the grand scheme of things, I began asking myself a few why questions.  For example, "Why do I go to work everyday?"  answer- To support my family.  That lead to another why question - "Why is supporting my family important?" - answer - Because I care about them and want them to have the things they need and a few of the things they want.  Which lead to more and more why questions.  Finally, when I had gotten frustrated, I asked myself "If all the answers to my why questions were valid, then why was I miserable when I came home and why was I working so many hours and being away from everyone that I'm working for?

You want to talk about an epiphany.  If you take the time to seriously ask yourself the "why" questions and are honest with yourself when you answer them, you will gain clarity and possibly some direction.  This exercise helps to clear the clutter of life away and puts light on your true motivations. 

The Socratic Method is a powerful tool if we are able to use it on our own consciousness.  If you've got some time to ponder and are in search of some clarity, try asking yourself "why", and be honest when you answer yourself.

Be well, until next time. 

Thomas.

2 comments: